Monday, May 10, 2010

Full Day's Food for May 10, 2010

Meal: Red Delicious apple in the car followed by Sweet Mallorca Bread and a Grande Earl Grey tea at Starbucks for breakfast.




Rating:
Taste: Apple- 10, Sweet Mallorca Bread- 9, Earl Grey tea- 10

For me, apples either rate a 10 or a 1 on the taste scale. 10 being crunchy, delicious and sweet {depending on the type}. 1 being mushy and disgusting, no matter what type. We bought these apples a few weeks ago, and I tend to grab one on the way to work to tide me over until I get breakfast at Starbucks, something I've started to add to my morning routine over the last month and a half.

During that time I've usually stuck with my usual of a Tall Hot Chocolate and a blueberry scone, but this morning, I thought I would try something else, in the form of the tea and the sweet bread. Now, I am a big tea person, and their tea is Tazo, one of my favorite brands aside from Twinnings. As far as taste and quality of tea goes, you can't beat either one of these. The sweet bread was a new venture, and I'm glad I made the decision to get it this morning. The bread was sweet, but not overpowering, which I liked. The powdered sugar sprinkled on top kicked the sweetness up a small notch, but again, it wasn't overpowering. At 420 calories, according to starbucks.com, 220 of which are from fat, it's not something I'd want everyday, but it will be nice to treat myself to once in awhile.

Meal: Leftover slice of sausage pizza, Fat Free chocolate pudding and water.


Rating:
Taste: leftover pizza- 8, pudding- 8, water- 10

Most of my lunches consist of things like this now. Sometimes I have enough time in the morning to make a sandwich, grab a piece of fruit and then a bottle of water before I run out the door. Most of the time, though, it's something hastily put together from either leftovers; homemade or take out, or just random things I happen to grab. I try to always incorporate water, which has only not been drunk twice, since there's a handy soda/snack machine in the backroom of work.

After I reheated the pizza in the microwave, the crust became very soft, the grease so prevalent in the pan crust pizzas at Pizza Hut cooked out. Probably for the best. Despite this and the softness of the crust, the pizza was still delicious; the sausage yummy, and the cheese perfectly melty.

Are you getting hungry? I certainly am.

The pudding, for being fat free, was surprisingly good. Definitely not the best chocolate pudding I've ever had, but when it's fat free, you take what you can get.

Water...it's water. Unless it's been sitting in the car getting hot or out in the open getting stale, there's not much that can be done to make it nasty.

Meal: Slow cooked steak, frozen mixed vegetables and Light cran-raspberry juice.





Rating:
Taste: steak- 10, vegetables- 10, juice- 10

My Mom and I aren't the biggest "cook all their meals at home" people. We used to be, but since moving in 2003, after almost renovating a house, and you know, getting older, my Mom's stamina for cooking for us has dwindled. My own excuse is a mixture of laziness {largely} and the fact that I'm working two jobs now. It's not that I don't like to cook or that I don't want to, it's just that when there's something to microwave that will be available to me within a 1:50, or a place I can hit on the way home and have delicious artery-clogging food given to me right away, it's easy to lapse into laziness.

My Mom put on the steak she had defrosted the night before, asking me to watch it and turn it over every so often, putting it on a heat setting of '2' out of '9'/'High'. It's important not to cook steak too fast or else it will not taste as good as it does from soaking in its own juices for 20 minutes. I flipped the steak a few times, and seasoned both sides of it with salt and pepper, pushing it around in the juices that had drained from it while it was slow cooking. At the same time, I opened a bag of frozen vegetables, put half in a bowl, filled half of that with water, and then put it in the microwave for 10 minutes. The vegetables were done before the steak was, but keeping them in the microwave made sure they stayed fresh and hot.

Once the steak was cooked to my satisfaction, probably about medium, I cut it in half and divided it up on two plates for myself and my Mom. I drained the vegetables, divided them up, and then rinsed off the cookware. I got myself a glass of Light Cran-Raspberry juice, which I didn't discover until late 2007, and paired that with my dinner.

The end result:
A fairly healthy dinner, for once.

The steak needed no sauces or added seasoning because of how we cooked it. Remember this the next time you reach for the BBQ or A1 steak sauce. All I seasoned it with was salt and pepper. If you only need something minimal like that, or even not that, you are cooking your steak in the best way possible.

Meal: German chocolate cake and skim milk


Rating:
Taste: cake- 10, milk- 9

Well, after an exceptionally healthy dinner, I decide to blow it, and give into my craving for cake by running to Giant Food, one of the many supermarkets in Maryland {for those not in the region}, and grab a 1/2 whole cake they had in the bakery. Thankfully, I wasn't going to get the whole thing since Mom had half of the half with me.

I haven't had German chocolate cake in a long time, and oh my was it worth the wait. Giant always makes delicious cakes {I use 'delicious' a lot, don't I?}, and this was no exception. If they had had one of their cream cheese cakes, it would've been all over.

The milk I had shouldn't need to be explained since....how can you have cake and not have milk with it? They pair so well, like peanut butter and jelly.

Until next time, Bon Appetit!

Food Quote: "We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are." —-Adelle Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment